Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Why Orks Don't Suck

Some more promised pro-Orks lies lies lies he is trying to brainwash you. This time it is Nashdiesel's rebuttal to Stelek's editorial on why orks suck which can be found in the discussion...
Points 1 & 2 (No Melta Str 9 anti heavy tank):  Deffrollas are essentially ork melta/str 9+.  The range is slightly gimped but the volume can be more.  It does the job.  For the record I think giving every codex access to melta is a design cop out on GW's part.  I prefer some variety, I think the deffrolla does a nice job of accomplishing that while managing to be better in some situations and worse in others.  Powerklaws are also viable, especially when comboed with boarding planks.
Point 3 (Low BS):  Orks have volume of fire which usually gets around this.
Point 4 (Trukks Suck):  Yeah Trukks have their problems.  I'm more annoyed with the "Trukk Boy" unit than actual trukks because they are so fragile.   I like that trukks are fast. I would prefer if they were more sturdy.  They are still usable but compared to rhinos and chimeras they are arguably weaker.
Point 5 (Mono Build):   You can make a decent case for two builds out of the codex that are good.  And then another case for 1-2 more than are tier 2.
Point 6 (Good Units):  Stelek you just named like half the codex.  Orks have enough anti-tank.   They just don't have a lot of anti heavy tank.  A lot of armies have this issue.  At least orks have deffrollas and powerklaws.
Point 7 & 9 (Forced to CC and Fearlesss):  I disagree that orks need to be awesome at CC because I think orks can shoot pretty well if you want them to.  I generally go shootier than choppy since I know boyz will get stomped on my anything cc focused.  This might be fluff problem but from a game balance perspective the boyz shoot well enough in volume for it not to matter all that much.
Point 8 (Dependence on Cover):  Sure they hate templates.  I don't think every army deserve 3+ saves at all times.
Point 10 (Special Characters):   Ghazghkull Thraka is probably one of the best Special Characters in the game.
Point 11 (Special Weapons): Agreed the ratio is pretty lame.  I'd like more special weapons.
Point 12-17:  I agree with some of these points.   That doesn't make the codex unplayable.
My ork armies have zero issues taking out AV 11 and 12 transports.  I don't have this violent issue with flamers that you seem to have when you play orks.   I just don't get into too many situations where they are always relevant.  
Maybe it's because I play all my ork armies as shooty.  I stay away from my opponents until it's garbage time and then clean them up.    Maybe I get big comp hits this way when I am outshooting Tau and IG.  Whatever works I guess.
- Nashdiesel this was back in March... so before the NOVA Open
And shortly after Nash's post chris.bibliophile did a rebuttal of the rebuttal... click the link up top to find it.


Edit - changes made to help understand the context of the rebuttal... and here is a rebuttal by Suicide Badger over on Manchester Area Wargames Society or MAWS 40K.

2 comments:

  1. Where was this originally posted? Why doesn't Nash point these things out to me? Where is the link to Chris' rebuttal? Is the sky blue?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is from back when you did the Why Orks Suck post. Nash's rebuttal can be found in the discussion. You just need to click the link up top. Or here...

    http://www.yesthetruthhurts.com/2010/03/editorial-why-orks-suck.html

    Messanger

    ReplyDelete