Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Gav Thorpe & The Gaming Contract

I have a love for Black Library content. Compared to other publishers they have some of the weakest plots and characters you could imagine. But I wouldn't be honest if I said I didn't enjoy reading about Space Marines and the 40K Universe. This love for Black Library means I regularly visit some of the BL authors (especially Aaron Dembski-Bowden).


However, as the title of this posts suggests what I intend to talk about has nothing to do with Aaron Dembski-Bowden but rather Gav Thorpe. He has decided to write his thoughts on The Gaming Contract after he received an email. I never got to the end of his post as it was dis-interesting to me. And the main reason is because someone has already written a far better article on The Gaming Contract*.

So who is he? Unless you have been living under a rock then your would most likely know him. He is the guy that has been organising NOVA Open. But incase you have been living under a rock or Heaven Forbid only just discovered the tactical side of this hobby then I will tell you. Mike Brandt from Whiskey & 40K...
All of us need things in life. We need food, we need water, we need breathable air. Needs are variable ... and sometimes they are just "wants," but it's important to note that emotionally, needs are pretty flexible, and immensely different from person to person...
...Your JOB in life, to attain happiness, is to understand what you need and to see your needs fulfilled. It is not the responsibility of others to make you happy.
- Mike in Social Contracts and Needs in Wargaming Between Strangers - How to Behave at a Tournament, and Other Thoughts
You will need to click the link to fully understand where Mike is going with all this. I swear it isn't a trap. I swear Mike isn't a WeirdoWhiner or a WAAC. And I swear he doesn't shower or use deodorant.
__________________________________________________________________
*The Gaming Contract and The Social Contract aren't the same thing. But the way Mike looked at our hobby was a much more interesting read. I can imagine it challenging many gamers and TOs in how they view their games. Hopefully more interweb users get exposed to Mike's articles and come out of it a more critical thinker.

No comments:

Post a Comment