Friday, November 26, 2010

Weekly Finds #4

Another week has passed. So far I have worked alot but hardly on my miniatures. Which to be honest isn't a surprise... but things will slow down over next two weeks and then get crazy hectic leading up to Christmas. When this pops up on the blog-o-sphere I'll either be on my way to find out how plastered I can get myself or already in the process. Note: I normally do not drink... but this semester has been a self-edit. Looking forward to hanging out with some friends and acquaintances that I haven't seen much in the last 6 months. But that is enough about me and my life or is it...

Painting Tutorial: Human Faces by whmpg from Modelling, Painting and Gaming! - There are tutorials all over the interwebz that explain different ways of painting flesh. The 'Eavy Metal ones are my favourite as they show how to use washes to bring some life to miniatures. But this one by whmpg would be great for line troops...


Imperium Statues by b.smoove from A Gentleman's Ones - I have included this because of the great links it has. I'm always looking at different ways to achieve the effect that b.smoove is illustrating. This is well worth the time to look.


What comes and goes by Corvus from Corvus' Miniatures - Just a blogger blogging his thoughts. It hit on something... not sure what... But this single post has shown that I have no excuses not to paint for the next three months with the exception of the hectic weeks leading up to Christmas. Does this mean I will work on the Victorian Crusade? Yes. Will I be showing updates of my army? No and yes. I need some proper lamps. Something like the one shown here. And I really need some low heat, white bulbs. Not sure if others have this problem but the heat makes my hands sweat... and somehow my metal tools end up rusting especially exacto blades and drill bits. I guess this is me going on a tangent that can be summed up as me needing to spend some money on two decent lamps and bulbs... the miniature below is my favourite one by Corvus.


Massive Voodoo TV: First Tutorial by Raffa from Massive Voodoo - If you haven't watched these then now is your chance. You don't need to understand German to learn from them... I will understand if you don't return after watching all four videos. I sure wouldn't...


MiniVault by Thomas Schadle - Stumbled across this Facebook page while on From The Warp. Alot of the miniatures look awesome and there is also a very disturbing diorama. His photo gallery is filled with Space Marines including a bunch of Black Templars like the one below... he also has a Recipe Book which may be interesting for some.


Working with liquid mask by Raffa from Massive Voodoo - The guy is a machine, constantly churning out tutorials. This is an old one that popped up on the Massive Voodoo Face Book page. I've seen other tutorials on how to use liquid mask. But for some reason I have been pretty dense in understanding how it actually works... but it finally clicked.


Glass Porthole Tutorial by Dave Taylor from davetaylorminiatures - The cracked glass recipe is what I particularly like. Encourage you to keep track of what is going on over at Dave Taylor's blog as he has been doing alot of charity work for two friends of his...


Painting Space Marine Helmet lenses by Ron from FTW - This one is better then the Games Workshop tutorial as it uses the Inside out Method... plus his suggestion of using a white coat to help make the lenses pop is clever. Make sure to use a brush with a decent body to avoid the paint drying before you get it onto the miniature... especially when it comes to doing the white dot.


Calculating probabilities in Warhammer 40K using binomial distribution by The Antipope from 122nd Cadian - One long arse title for a post... but to sum it up: everybody is doing mathhammer wrong.


Sorry about the mess in the middle of this post. I went on a tangent and didn't want to wipe it out. Fortunately it is hard enough to read that you completely skipped it and instead spent 40 minutes watching the Massive Voodoo tutorial.

3 comments:

  1. Haha cheers! Could you suggest a more catchy title for my post then? :P
    I just wanted to be descriptive, that's all!
    I guess "EVERYTHING IS DOING MATHHAMMER WRONG!!!" would have a bigger impact :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. *Sob* While my new article series has nothing to do with modelling (per se) I thought it might sneak in as an 11th hour contribution.

    Still, good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ The Antipope - Go with "Everybody is going Mathhammer Wrongz" and then get the guys from House of Paincakes to put it up on their blog. Be an enlightening read for the uncleaned masses of interwebz users.

    @ TKE - Think I was getting ready to go out when I noticed your post pop up in dashboard... didn't get to read it till today. So it will go up for next week :)

    I want the Weekly Finds to focus on a mix of different areas like painting, converting and gaming. But, there is more content coming out regularly from the painters and converters.

    Messanger

    ReplyDelete