Friday, November 12, 2010

Weekly Finds #2

Second instalment of my findings on the interwebz. And this is the one that will help illustrate why I'm not a member of From The Warp...

Holy Fucking Shit by Aaron Dembski-Bowden from Aaron Dembski-Bowden - He is my favourite BL author for a number of reasons. He swears alot is probably the most obvious. He dislike Star Trek is another obvious reason. Live Long and Prosper is the only good that has come out of the entire franchise... and these. And best of all, my words have been immortalised on his blog. The only thing that bugs me is that his blog is his him...


How to create old books by Oli from Massive Voodoo - As I said last Friday these guys will keep popping up every week. They are constantly producing some really amazing work. But it is some of their older content that I really like. And this tutorial is one of them... great for Sisters of Battle or any Imperial army really.


Battlewagon Tactics: Deployment by The Antipope from 122nd Cadian - Found this article over on HoP and instantly knew I would be including it in this weeks finds. It uses pictures from vassal to effectively illustrate the ideas being presented. The ideas may seem basic to the more advance gamer, but for new players these sort of tutorials are extremely helpful. I have added 122nd Cadian to the right hand blog roll and in the future will post several of his tutorials up individually...


How to: Vendetta Alpha Strike by Danny Internet from Bald and Screaming - This is a great tutorial for Imperial Guard players to understand how to pull off a true Alpha Strike, especially as it utilises pictures to help explain. It is also what The Antipope talks about in his example in the above tutorial.


How to sculpt a little Teddybear by Roman from Massive Voodoo - After reading this tutorial I have made it a habit to use left over green stuff to sculpt little men, mice or bears. It is a great way to kill time while waiting for the green stuff to harden for the next layer to be added. Sometimes can even use your little creation on a base...


Black Elf Guardian Musician Step-by-step by Sigur from Battle Brush Studios - The level of detail that goes into this spur of the moment tutorial is amazing. I particularly like the way Sigur painted the purple.


High Elves Sea Guard Part 1 by Volomir from Volomir's Blog - More Elves, but this time the not so evil kind. This is a tutorial of sorts that show how to remove raised detail off shields and then replace it with a smooth surface. The second part with the shields painted can be found here...


Deathwatch Black Templar by Winterdyne from Winterdyne Commission Modelling - My imaginary friends who check back regularly will recognise the name Winterdyne. That is because he was the focus of my last Spotlight. His latest commission piece had to be included for obvious reasons... and the WiP of it can be found here.


On Subsystems and Selves by David Sirlin from Sirlin.net - An interesting read... alot of the articles he produces are interesting. Some of the content talked about may wind up one of the articles from a series I've been working on for past six months.


Painting Sickly Skin by Manarepublic from Bell of Lost Souls - Not exactly unhealthy skin. As some of the comments point out the use of glazes and washes have helped give it a healthy look. But it is till a great recipe for painting skin if you have Privateer Press paints. I have also added his blog to the left hand column for those interested.


Off Topical by the Off Topic Cast from Off Topical - Not sure how new this podcast is... but it has Brent from Strictly Average and swearing. Do not get the impression that this is hobby related.


Chaplain skull helmet conversion by Ron from FTW - Ron shows how to convert/sculpt a skull into a Chaplain helmet. This is a pretty awesome conversion...


So another week has passed and I'm almost half way through my exams. I've tried to include a better spread of painting, converting, sculpting and gaming content. Today is also the last day to enter the Massive Voodoo 400 subscribers prize drawing. Now, can anyone guess why I'm not a member of From The Warp?

3 comments:

  1. "can anyone guess why I'm not a member of From The Warp"
    Probably has something to do with dropping the f-bomb like 90 times in this article :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. And the pictures... don't forget the pictures. If you don't click every single link that isn't my fault.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey mate, I just realised you included this here. I had no idea. Thank you for you kind words and the inclusion in your blogroll. You got a ton of very good stuff here (it took me like a day to read that crazy snowmobiling post) to check out. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete