Friday, November 19, 2010

Weekly Finds #3

Today is my last day for exams. Means I will should have loads of free time for painting, except for when I'm working. Sigh. Hopefully the things I have been ordering and bidding over the last few weeks arrive soon. I digress, below are some really nice tutorials as well as stunning miniatures...

Templar Knight 90mm by Andrea from Massive Voodoo - I play Black Templars, so it is obvious why I have included this amazing miniature. Another blogger with Brothers of the Fuckinawesome Order is Simon M.


Drilling out your gun barrels by Ron from FTW - I ducking hate it when I see bolters that don't have their barrels drilled out. However, fucking hate it when I can't get the damn holes to be centred. It is only an extra step to improve the appearance of your miniatures. Another tutorial with a slightly different approach is by Winterdyne, which can be found here. Winterdyne's tutorial doesn't use markers... one less thing to keep around.


Corvus Corax Helmet Tutorial by SCC from The Bolter and Chainsword - This is a great example of the useful content that comes out of the BnC. SCC came up with this tutorial while working on his current Raven Guard project. His point about using green stuff when you make a mistake, it is just as true for gun barrels. When I get around to making some Deathwatch marines this tutorial may come in handy...


miniature building construction in foamboard by Emmanuel Nouaillier from County Gate - When I first saw the pictures on this website I got the impression they were real... but they aren't. The level of detail is mind blowing. The entire website is full of mind blowing content. Well worth a look. Can see Raffa's attempt at this technique here.


Jump Pack Guide by Roleplayer from DakkaDakka - While on the BnC I stumbled across a reference to this tutorial. There are probably other tutorials out there on how to achieve this effect. But this is the first one I've found... plus Roleplayer produces really nice high quality table top miniatures.


On Painting Women by Matthew Innis from Underpaintings - This was an interesting find. Although I am well aware that women still face inequalities in today's modern world, I never realised this spread into the more creative professions. And I'm not ignorant enough not to see the inequalities that men see in certain areas of life. This is an interesting read, may want to further investigate the issue, with some really nice paintings such as the one below by Lacy Lewis...


Rogue Trader Friday: Medic! by Bryan from FTW - This picture just looks awesome. Obviously not as awesome as the above. I agree with Bryan that the white helmet and pauldron scheme looks alot nicer than the all white scheme. I now have an inspiration for the Sanguinary Priests when I start work on my Sanguinary Guard themed Death Company. Or is that Death Company themed Sanguinary Guard?


The Arterially Train of Nuln (Part 2) by Dave Taylor from 8th Edition Challenge - For those who haven't stumbled across this blog yet, now is your chance. The only member to have pictures of miniatures is Dave, but there is alot of potential for some amazing fantasy armies.


Brining a New Style to the Hobby by Dave from N++ - This is a thought provoking read that builds off and complements what Lauby has been talking about over on his blog. This emulation of work is noticeable when you take a look through the pictures from this years Golden Demons. The Spanish and the French have different styles with the French looking far more realistic. However, the French miniatures all start to blend in as Dave refers to it. And the same could be said for the Spanish, American and British. There are always exceptions to these broad statements as Lauby points out in his series...


Looks like once again the competitive crowd have been outdone by the painting, converting and sculpting crowd when it comes to decent quality tutorials. I'm not surprised to be honest. They will be forgiven this time. Mainly because they have been busy talking about the release of the updated 40k BRB FAQ as can be seen here, here, here, here, here, here, here and here.

But on a completely different note I've picked two bloggers who will have their stuff featured in upcoming Spotlights.

I now have 2 and a bit months of no University. Except for the one week of clinical placement. This is also going to be my last Summer break before I have to go into the work force... until I return to university to study Medicine or something that will actually interest me. So that means I can focus on getting the Victorian Crusade prepared for Centurion in March 2011. Also gotta work on articles for Mind War and 3++.

No comments:

Post a Comment