Friday, December 24, 2010

Weekly Finds #8

Only one more sleep till Christmas for most of the world. Which means that only seven more sleeps till it is a new year. Feels like the past one has just flown by. But anyways, even with my silence on the the blog-o-sphere I've managed to compile a collection of articles.

Tutorial how to make socket label by Raffa from Massive Voodoo - There has been an absences of these guys in Weekly Finds. However, they have returned with this pretty cool tutorial on how to make a label for a plinth. Not something a gamer would need, but still interesting.


Friday Quick Tip: Black Battle Damage by Grey Death from The Painting Corps - This isn't a tutorial, but it does offer alternative methods to achieving battle damage on black armour/surfaces. It is something I have struggled with for my tanks for some time. Hopefully my practise goes work out.


Painting black armour, learning how by Ron from FTW - This leads into an article further down. It looks at different ways of painting black armour. I really like the end result of the miniature shown below. However, I'm not a big fan of line highlighting every damn surface. I've done it before on my Black Templars. Just too time consuming...


Spacecurves' Tactics Class: More Deployment Strategies by Spacecurves from Bell of Lost Souls - Another article that has gone against the common trend of craptastic advice from BoLS. It isn't something I'd consider awesome, but it is something that would be helpful for newer players.


40k Scourge Conversions by Bigred from Bell of Lost Souls - Not actually by Bigred, instead done by a BoLS reader named Daniel. They look awesome, and alot better than the others that were shown. I'd use different heads just to lower the costs, even though the Incubi heads would really help to make the miniatures look unique...


Friday Quick Tip: Painting Snow by Grey Death from The Painting Corps - This is an old article that was linked to in a recent post by GD. I have a tub of Games Workshop snow that I plan on using eventually. May get some of the realistic snow from Secret Weapon Miniatures to achieve the effect talked about here.


Painting black, some help by Ron from FTW - With a horde of Black Templars these sort of discussions are always an interesting read. It is interesting to see how other people go about painting black. I particularly like the effect achieved in the picture below...


Dark Eldar Wyche Painting Tutorial by Dave Taylor from davetaylorminiatures - This is a follow on from Dave's tutorial that he did for From The Warp. I much prefer the effect achived by Ron for the black armour, but the skin and hair works. Especially the skin which reminds me of a Dark Elf army featured in White Dwarf many years ago.


Imperial Fists Sternguard Veteran by Mister Justin from misterjustin.com - Something else from the past that I decided to throw up on the blog. I really, really like the look of the large crests from the Secret Weapon Miniatures range. And the way the Imperial Fists has been painted just looks awesome... probably pick up a set of these in my next order.


Hope everyone has a happy Christmas and an awesome New Year...  

2 comments: