Friday, December 03, 2010

Weekly Finds #5

It is only three weeks away from Christmas and soon all of my most recent orders should arrive. I'm looking forward to when my Battlefoam Bag arrives... although I am a little annoyed that I missed out on the Black Friday sale by a week. Made the order the Friday before. Enough of that tangent...

'The Basics' - Part One: Choosing An Army by TKE from Mind War, ftw! - This is a REALLY long read. It is almost TL;DR. But it is still worth the time. TKE takes a look at the idea of winning and how it influences your choice of army list. I may do my own post on what I believe winning is and use my authorship to post it up on Mind War. First, I will need to get my ideas onto a medium and then bounce ideas off TKE and others.


Macro Photography and Miniatures... Basic Tutorial by Vent from Schola Progenium - An in depth tutorial that explores everything from your camera to editing the photo. Well worth a look...


Making Feathers Tutorial by Dave Taylor from davetaylorminiatures - This tutorial is unlikely to be of much use to me with my Black Templars, but it may come in handy for a Raven Guard or even Deathwing player. And it is interesting how Dave Taylor has no problems doing count-as Special Characters... front view of the miniatures can be seen here.


I Thought Cubicle Farms Like Prison by J. Griffin Barber from The Ranting Griffin - Although this is not a hobby blog, I have been following it for some time for the interesting rants and odd ball posts. This is one of those odd ball posts. I now have to build myself a Super Maul and go on a reign of terror.


Top Tip: Simple Flocking by Brent from Strictly Average - The title says it all... a simple tutorial on how to get some flock onto your miniature bases. Make sure to paint the flock... nothing more hideous to see on a base than the old school approach of using green flock to represent grass. Another tips is coating the flock in watered down glue...


New Work From John Blanche #3 by Tears of Envy from Tears of Envy - This is the third post by ToE that show some new, non-GW, artwork by John Blanche. It may not be for everyone but I can still imagine these characters existing in the Imperium...


It Came From the Forums: Xenobiotic's Blood Angel's Successors by Old School Terminator from Dark Future Games - This is a feature over on Dark Future Games which takes a look at armies owned by forum users. This one jumped out at me because of its unusual colour scheme, especially for the vehicles, and the unique helmets...


The Bishkek 2nd Basilisk: Part 7 by SC Mike from Santa Cruz Warhammer - This is one interesting project. I only came across it recently but so far it has captured my attention. The mini-tutorial on making the Gnome is brilliant and well worth a look...


Tactics: Destroyed by a Horde, what to do now? by fester from The Pinktastic Blog - This is the sort of quality tactics the online community is in need of. It has solid advise with pictures that illustrate the point. fester has done a great job...


Blending Tutorial Part 2a by Vhaidra from Massive Voodoo - This is another long read, but also well worth it. The main thing I took away from this tutorial is the importance of the midtone and not making it too dark... there are also videos.



Magnetising: Space Marine Dreadnought by Ron from FTW - I am only going to be using the Venerable and Ironclad Dreadnoughts in the updated Victorian Crusade. So the issue of different sized pegs shouldn't be a problem for me. But this is still a great resources and so is this...


How to sculpt green stuff cloaks and capes by Col. Corbane from Corbania Prime - You may have come across this when looking at Dave Taylor's tutorial, as he linked to this. But if you didn't look at it, then here is another chance. Nothing complicated about this, just a simple tutorial on producing some plain capes or cloaks...


Providing Cover to Vehicles and Units (self-blocking) by Kirby from The Pinktastic Blog - Two tactic articles with pictures in one week. The blog-o-sphere must be unravelling at the seams... of course Kirby does seem pretty weird in the article...


Super-Heavy approach by Lev Kouzes from Le Blog De Kouzes - If you haven't got Google translator or unable to read French, then all you will be able to do is look at the pictures. If you like the look of the base, you can find a tutorial in English here. But, after my Knight Titan post the other day, I thought it was somewhat ironic that this would pop up...


Dethtron Solves the Foreign Relations Crisis by Dethtron from Dick Move - I propose we all give Dethtron our first born child and then any others for this monumental achievement. Just look at the image below to understand the challenges of bringing so many different mind people together in harmony...


It has been a slow week for me. She Who Must Be Obeyed had clinical placement, so there wasn't many chances for me to go out. However, I have managed to do some work on the Victorian Crusade, no painting but there has been some assembling, magnetising and even work on some of the bases. 

Before you go, have a look at Volomir's Blog with the latests instalment of Do No Miss.

5 comments:

  1. You ordered battlefoam? We must meet up so I can check it out and see if it's worth the investment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It should arrive the week before or after Christmas. Which works out perfectly as I'm not working every single day after the Christmas rush.

    Should have everything I need for my 1750 Centurion list assembled by then... or a suitable proxy at the very least.

    Be fun meeting you in person lolz

    Messanger

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grazi. Nice to be honoured by this mention. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed this post, my man - good stuff!

    ReplyDelete