Friday, September 03, 2010

Warbuggies versus Deffkoptas

Not exactly a proper unit comparison by Mike from Whiskey & 40k. It was actually just an example from his probability pool post. But I liked it so here it is...
...Think of it like cover saves, and the choice between taking a "Deffkopta" or a "Warbuggy." Both units have their place and their cool tricks ... deffkoptas can do all sorts of crazy first turn things, right? Fine. Both can be kept covered up if you're half smart, fine. So, if my opponent is shooting at a Deffkopta, he has to roll to hit and wound, and then I have to roll a save to prevent damage. If my opponent is shooting at a Rokkit buggy, he has to roll to hit and glance/pen (and this is going to be more difficult to do for almost all weapons), and I get to roll my cover save ... and THEN he has to roll another dice to kill it. The Warbuggy puts your opponent MORE into the probability pool. The probability pool cares not whether your opponent is smart, or clever, or better than you. It's simply odds. The more times you subject him to the chance for bad luck, the better off you are. So in my ork lists, I ALWAYS use rokkit buggies ... it's not that Deffkoptas aren't good / great / whatever, but I can do good things with EITHER unit, and they both have the capacity to kill transports and such ... and the buggies take me MORE out of the probability pool, and that's a win right off the bat...

4 comments:

  1. In addition to what mike wrote; the other thing that makes buggies better IMO is the ability to interdict the opponent. Much like how Tau players use Pirahnas. I've been able to slow down Land Raiders full of beat-down units or Thunderwolf Cav or Bloodcrushers or lots of other things by just moving my buggies 1" in front of them and 3.99" apart. If they attack it they need 6s to hit, vehicles that are 1" away, AT BEST are ramming at S5. Its a solid tactic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It isn't so much that they are better. But rather they offer more in an all comers lists (durability, ranged anti-tank and blocking). I get the impression it is more of a ratio thing. You need Buggies more than Deffcoptas. But you can still include the 'coptas.

    Messanger

    ReplyDelete
  3. Generally, but the limitation to 3 FA slots means that a lot of the time Koptas simply aren't worth it, IMO. A lone Kopta does very little, so you need two, which is two slots, ideally, which is bad...etc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was thinking ratios like what Stelek did here:

    http://www.yesthetruthhurts.com/2009/11/re-envisioning-orks-part-iii.html

    Messanger

    ReplyDelete