Friday, March 09, 2012

Weekly Finds #71

I'm a week away from hitting number 72 of my weekly finds. For some reason that number will be important to me. Yet there will be nothing at all significant about it... much like my 22nd Birthday which is tomorrow. Subtle B-bomb...

Jodorowsky's Dune by Matt Colville from Squaremans - I was completely engrossed by this article. Matt Colville's writing style completely captured my attention. It is no secret that Warhammer 40K has been heavily influenced by the novel Dune. Both the film by David Lynch and the first Alien movie had come out well before Rogue Trader was released. Even Blade Runner had been out for a few years. So to read this article and see a few pieces of this artwork was like a chocoholic getting a glimpse into Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory. I hope to watch this documentary soon.


Review of Ott-Lite Task Lamp by Rev from Tale of Painters - The first I heard of Ott-Lites was over on The Painting Corps when Grey Death reviewed their light bulbs. I've seen a fair few pictures of painting classes where the painters have brought along their own Ott-Lite lamps. So this review gives an idea of some of the features... I'll wait for the verdict before I consider changing my light set up. Something to keep in mind is that the task lamp may not be great for use in a photo set up. However, there is always the option to keep your current lamps but swap out the light bulbs...


Building the Tower of Orthanc: Part 1 by Jeremy Williams from Adepticon 2012 Development Blog - It will be great to watch this project progress. Shame it won't be done to scale... but then again look at how huge the second tower can get.


Wreck-Age Demo Board by Jeremy Olsen from Empire of Ghosts - These look great. I'm a big fan of the below piece of terrain... would fit into a game of Necromunda or even a regular gaming table. More terrain can be found on Empire of Ghosts as well as some tutorials on various things such as preparing metal miniatures. Liquid Green Stuff is also useful for fixing those poorly cast metal miniatures...


Mantis Warriors by Doghouse from The Bolter & Chainsword - It looks like Doghouse got a decent cast of this epic failure of a miniature. Mine is loaded with imperfections. I'll be taking Doghouse's lead and using a bare head and putting the helmet on his belt... that way the imperfections in the helmet won't be a focal point. May just wait and see how the replacement looks like... if I get a decent cast the bad cast will be turned into bitz.


Carnifex Screamer Conversion by MBG Par Hellric from Spikey Bits Nightmare Miniatures - While looking at what I'd missed on Spikey Bits came across this amazing conversion by M. Pink and Bocks from Warpshadow.com. I know I'm not the only fan of the old school screamers. Brent likes them. Does that mean Not Brent doesn't?


Sculpting with GF9 Greenstuff and Chap Sticks by Cameron from Rust and the City - I'm a big fan of the way GF9 package their epoxy. It avoids the problems caused by Citadel green stuff packaging such as the point of contact between the two colours hardening or dust getting in the roll. The idea of using chap sticks is interesting... though it won't be usable when aiming to achieve layered detail.


Faithful Protector of Mankind by okkiW from Spiky Rat Pack - This is just amazing... all of the plastic components have been taken from just the tactical space marine box. The miniature is dynamic and full of character. I can just imagine he is defending an Imperial Shrine World or taking part in this fire fight.


No comments:

Post a Comment