Friday, December 09, 2011

Weekly Finds #58

I DUCKING PASSED!!!! It was a great relief to log on Wednesday and see my results. Just ignore the fact that the server had crashed in the morning and had to wait till mid-day to see the results. Thankfully the missus got up early and looked for me before it crashed to make sure I passed everything. I've been sick since Wednesday and working today and tomorrow so not sure when I'll celebrate. Hopefully when this post goes live I'll be throwing some dice at the Tin Soldier. Attendance has been poor last few days due to a Planetary Empire campaign on Thursday nights draining all of the 40K players. Anyways... below is collection of some articles that jumped out at me over the past week.

Best of November 2011 by Corvus from Corvu's Miniatures - This missed out on being included in last weeks post. Of the articles that Corvus included two in particular jumped out at me. The first is the source of the picture below. A step-by-step tutorial on painting metallics... in a way you hardly see in the 40K community. The second is this jaw dropping gorgeous miniature painted by former 'Eavy Metal painter Darren Latham.


Renegaded Conversions by Cameron from Rust and the City - These are just some brilliant conversions. I've seen a couple of hobbyists convert the plastic Nurgle Lord into something for 40K. Such as John Blanche and Jakob Nielsen. However, it is the converted Rat Orge that really caught my attention. This is the sort of weird monstrosity that you could easily imagine lurking in a dark under hive or in the swollen ranks of an Adeptus Mechanicus army.


Black is the new black by Raffa from Massive Voodoo - This is a great theoretical article. I never got around to picking up paint brush last week to experiment painting black. I had the time but the motivation slowly drained away as I waited for results. And now I'm sick. I did get around to picking up supplies to make a wet palette. Fingers crossed that wiki is right and there is no real difference between baking and parchment paper.


Crynn's Corner: The Movement Phase by Crynn from The Pinktastic Blog - Another great theoretical article... although, this time it relates to gaming. For me it seems that deployment and movement are the two aspects of the game that a general has the most direct control over. Dice can play such a small part that it is hard to blame bad luck. As can be seen in this battle report where mistakes in both deployment and movement can be attributed to the loss.


Handling Photoetched Parts by Roman Neues Ziel from Massive Voodoo YouTube - I may not have the tools that Neues Ziel used... but this is a fascinating tutorial. Especially since there are several companies that offer photoetched parts to 40K hobbyists such as Forge World, Secret Weapon Miniatures and PK-PRO. I particularly like Neues Ziel's approach to gluing down small rivets. Something that other hobbyists might benefit from when using things like grains from filters or some of the techniques suggested by Dave Taylor.

No comments:

Post a Comment